Monday, December 7, 2009
Prison Experiment
I read the Milgrim Prison Experiment. This experiment took ordinary college students and simulated a real arrest and put them in prison. Half of the people involved became guards and half became prisoners. The prisoners were referred to by number so they had no individuality. They all wore the same uniform (which was like a dress) and wore something over their heads. In the experiment the prisoners felt like actual prisoners and the guards were hard on the prisoners and made them do humiliating things. The prisoners ended up becoming depressed and having emotional disturbances. The guards took their role too seriously and the man conducting the experiment went overboard as the supervisor of the prison. All of these ordinary people took on their role and made everything way too realistic. I was curious how I would handle this if I were in the situation. I would not want to simulate this experience for anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment